Sunday, November 12, 2006

why don't we do it in the road?


while walking home from work on Fillmore a little while ago, aproaching Hayes Street, I observed a guy crouched in the middle of the street, apparently drawing something with a felt tipped marker. He was actually drawing on the street itself, or rather, on one of the yellow "dots," about a foot in diameter that have been painted on various points of various streets around the city in the past year by the public works department or maybe MUNI. I have no idea what they signify or mark, but have often thought they were tempting targets for artistic "enhancement." Curious, I walked over to the guy and said "hey, what are you doing?" I think he was taken aback at first, maybe thinking I was going to hassle him. So I hastily added "y'know, I've always wanted to turn one of these things into a big happy face, they're so annoying..." he smiled sheepishly and said "well, I was just waiting for the bus, and decided to do some doodling." I couldn't tell what he was drawing, but I said "well, keep up the good work!" anyway. as I walked away he said "thanks, have a great night!"

No comments: