Sunday, November 26, 2006

I remember heading gleefully


down the slippery slope of labor intensive gardening. The second year at the farm I decided I was going to start seeds indoors in February so I could get my tomatoes, peppers, etc. producing early. So I set flats up in our attic on big sheets of plywood propped up by saw horses (god I miss those saw horses!), beneath fluorescent lights I strung from the ceiling so that they hung 18 inches above the "potting soil," which was actually loam from our compost pile that I had taken to work and sterilized by autoclaving (pretty extreme DIY, huh?) The highlight of my day for a while was coming home from work to check on the progress of my little seedlings and giving them a gentle misting. I even went so far as to brush them with my hand a couple times a day once they started reaching up toward the light because I had read somewhere that giving seedlings physical stimuli resulted in more robust growth. In the end we
had so many little tomato plants that we ran out of people to give them away to.

No comments: