Wednesday, March 08, 2006

those are flat noodles disguised as scalloped potatoes

Sometimes when I'm really hungry and tired I like to fantasize about going to a restaurant and just ordering everything everything that strikes my fancy. Way more than I can eat, with no concern about waste. But I never do; instead I spend inordinate amounts of time deciding what to order, and feeling like it's never enough, and eating every last bit, even if I didn't particularly like it.

My best meal ever, hands down: Back when I was doing insane on-call back in T or C, occasionally, after a gruelling 12 hour shift followed by even more gruelling call-back, I would guiltily go to the McDonald's drive through and order the super-sized chicken mcNuggets meal with large coke. Then take it back to my barely-habitable rehab project of a house, pour all the grease-glistening Meg Nuggets and crispety fries on a big plate and eat it all in one unbroken motion of machine-like orgiastic self-indulgence. Then I would hate myself for hours, but still, it was so satisfying.

I enjoy hanging out at the Haight Street McDonalds munching on broccoli or radishes or some other roughage that I've brought from home and surfing the web. I always buy a coke, so it's not like I'm picnicing there, the workers don't seem to mind. There's something about the hard molded plastic benches in the booths, the artificial plants moderating the light, and the homeless punk kids coming in to buy coffee and use the bathroom that I find soothing. This Mickey D's is also special because it has no drive-thru.

No comments: