Monday, January 01, 2007

ghosts of a trip 15 years ago


Wednesday night I was tooling around Manhattan and Brooklyn in a tour van with the rest of my laboratory instrument instruction class. Again, the Bay Area dominated, not just in numbers but also yakkiness; there were Doreen and I or course, and a guy who came independently who lives in SF but works in Burlingame, down the peninsula, at another Sutter hospital. So out of 12 attendees 3 were Bay Areans. But not Bay Aryans. Add to that The Primate Guy from Everett WA (runs the lab at an evil military-industrial-academial primate research facility) and we made up The West Coast Contingent. The tour guide basically let us direct the tour, and of course we all wanted to go to Ground Zero. He let us out and we all walked around for a while. Pretty spooky at night. A lot bigger that I thought it would be. We also made stops in a little park under the Brooklyn Bridge in Brooklyn, at the Jersey Shore State Park (to look at the Statue of Liberty from afar) and Little Italy, where I wandered into this bizarre little trattoria where I got a cheese slice, authentic NY pizza pie. I'm sorry, but my local North Beach Pizza beats it hands down. And of course we drove through Times Square, Central Park, and all the other typical places. We were all falling asleep on the ride back to Parsippany (including the driver-- I was sitting next to him and saw him nodding, and poised myself to grab the steering wheel if he crossed the center line). I was surprised how much I remembered of NYC from my trip there 15 years ago.

No comments: