Tuesday, June 11, 2013

What I'm Doing

Perhaps you are wondering where all these puerile poems came from; perhaps you are wonder when they will cease. Well, most of them were written by me when I was a teenager or young adult in my early twenties. Some of them (the better ones) were written by my lifelong friend Glen, and they had wound up in the same binder that contained my own pieces. One day I looked at the binder and felt sad because I doubted that I would ever read these dozens of carefully collected pieces of paper, some with typed words, some hand-written. Suddenly I knew what I should do-- transfer them to this blog! If nothing else, it would force me to read them all one more time. After copying them to this blog, I would then destroy the originals, making them perhaps more ephemeral, but also giving them a slight chance of being read by someone other than me. So that is why I am presenting poem after poem for your consideration.

The photos that accompany the poems generally have no thematic relation to them. They comprise the hundreds of random photos that I have taken over the years with my digital camera. Some are interesting, some you probably wonder what possessed me to snap the shot in the first place. Though many of the poems make me cringe with embarrassment, almost all of the photos give me a tiny spark of joy. There was a little frisson of wonder and excitement when I photographed each varied subject. I guess I'm more of a visual person.

Anyway, the poems combined with the photos provide a faint psychic outline of who I am in this tiny but interesting life I have lead.

No comments: