Monday, February 27, 2006

The Bird's the Word


So here I am at Albuquerque International Sunport waiting for my flight home to San Francisco. This has got to be my fave airport ever (not that I’ve been to all that many, not like my pop, stalwart veteran of General Electric. When I was growing up, I remember him flying off somewhere like every month. Sometimes I feel ripped off that I have a bunky job that doesn’t send me anywhere. Oh well). At any rate, for once I’m on time and not discombobulated. Once I missed a connecting flight just because I was wandering around the airport (Denver, I think it was). I slept at an airport once because I missed a flight (San Jose, I won’t forget that one). But ya gotta love this airport because it’s so cheery and southwestery and has free wifi everywhere!!! Wifi is my obsession these days. Free if possible. That and dental hygeine. For some reason on this trip something popped in my mind and I started feeling sorry for my teeth. So I’m flossing like a demon lately (as opposed to lackluster flossing), and brushing not just my teeth but my gums, too. Like Doc Mojica says.

This sign is from the wide open spaces between Hatch and Deming, New Mexico. Nutt is the next town on NM 26 after Hatch, and is basically one bar that may or may not be defunct called the Middle of Nowhere Bar and Cafe. That a Nut Hatch is a type of bird makes me chuckle when I see this sign. Am I such a geek that no one else finds this funny? I love coincidental juxtapositions of names (and weird names in general). Like the time in the lab when the patient last names “Vedder” and “Blaylock” appeared right next to each other on a worklist: Mookie Blaylock was Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder’s first band (and an NBA player apparently). Weird, huh? Oh, I was referring to me.

No comments: